Lots of buzz about DevOps and a number of notable proponents.
I am a believer myself but will it make it to the enterprise and at what cost?
I certainly hope that some of the most admirable aspects do make it to the enterprise. I am particularly interested in:
- the speed with which devops can deliver by embracing automation and the eability to remove operational noise
- the take-up of pattern-based computing
- self-documented systems
And by the same token there does need to be an amount of control an compliance as new services are introduced. A free-for-all where any technology can be delivered into the enterprise is clearly a non-starter.
I will pick on 10gen / mongoDB since I have studied it a little and it has been massively [over]-hyped recently.
How can platforms like MongoDB make it into the enterprise successfully in the next 12-18 months?
- first; what is the real business need
- is there any tooling to help manage the environment
- are there already tools that can do the same but don’t have the same appeal
Again, more pondering to do.